Sunday 20 August 2017

Recovery

Hey everybody! I hope the last week has been kind to you. We got our Downs, Edwards and Pataus screening results through for The Pie and we are very pleased to know that all of the tests came back as low risk. The relief that surged through my body was amazing as I read the letter. It gave me the confidence to announce our pregnancy at my work and again this was a huge relief to get it out there. I've found myself talking more about Bean and Passenger to girls at work who didn't know what had happened. I think it's been hard for people to realise what I have been through as they've only seen a bubbly work colleague. It just shows that you have no real idea what others are dealing with and going through, this is the reason why we won't be doing a Facebook announcement, the amount I have seen while in the stinging throes of grief is too much to bear and I do not want to be the cause of any upset for others.

On Thursday I went to see a consultant about our scan, we were recommended to see him because of our history of anencephaly. First of all we were late for the appointment so I was already stressed out. Rob ended up waiting in the drop off parking area and I ran into the waiting room. I'd forgotten a wee sample as well but luckily I had time to produce one before I was called in. The consultant was lovely, he assured me that the scan looked great for our Pie and kept telling me to be positive. I thought I was being a lot more positive than I had been a week ago so I don't know what he would have done if he'd seen me back then. I asked whether I should continue taking my prescription 5mg folic acid and he advised that I take it throughout the whole of the pregnancy. I then broached the subject of an extra scan at 16 weeks, our genetic counsellor suggested an extra scan at 9-11 weeks and one more at 16 weeks. The consultant said he was happy that anencephaly was not evident from the 12 week scan so we didn't actually NEED a 16 weeks scan. I said I was happy if he was happy then surprisingly he stopped me and said that it didn't matter whether he was happy it mattered that I was happy, he asked me honestly would we like another scan and I said it would be nice for peace of mind. He agreed straight away and even offered to scan me himself. I left the appointment relieved again that I was listened to. It must be very evident that I am a very anxious mum-to-be, and understandably so.

We are now coming to the end of Passengers story, it's quite fitting that her due date will have been 23rd August, this Wednesday coming. It hard not to think what could or should have been but it does make it easier knowing we have a healthy baby growing inside me right now. It also helps to know she is always nearby buried under her apple tree in our garden. I was discussing with Rob what will happen to this blog once Passenger's story concludes, the natural progression will be for it to move onto Bean and Passenger's sibling's story and journey.

My last post covered my surgery to remove Passenger, now I needed to recover again. I had learned a lot since the last time I'd had surgery and I wasn't willing to force myself to do anything that didn't feel right. I immediately took 2 weeks sick leave from work and it's a very good job I did, I bled much more this time round as it was surgery to remove a full pregnancy rather than just the thickened endometrial lining and gestational sac. I expected there to be more blood so it wasn't so much of a surprise to see the pinky red fluid in the toilet every time I went to the loo. The real surprise was the pain, getting up from seated to standing was a struggle and also twisting to get the loo roll was especially painful. I ended up using the codein tablets from my surgery with Bean to ease it which then caused unbelievable constipation!

After the weekend trying to relax and refusing to go back down depression road I marched (in my head, in reality I hobbled) to the doctors surgery and immediately got prescribed 5mg folic acid. We wanted to try again as soon as we could. I was worried my cycles would never return to any sort of normality but taking some sort of step towards controlling my own destiny helped my mental wellbeing.

The rest of the two weeks involved healing, Catfish:The TV Show bingeing, pain, codein, constipation relief, anger and determination. The difference in my mental state was amazing compared to our first loss. I felt like The loss of Passenger was a continuation of our loss of Bean. It is difficult to explain and although our loss of Passenger was still extremely painful in its own way I guess I was hardened by the loss of Bean so perhaps I could take on the pain, guilt and grief better than I had done before. But that doesn't mean it was any less traumatic or upsetting. Rob found the loss of Passenger much harder to bear and ill cover that in another post.

I felt giving myself those two weeks to recover myself as best I could were extremely valuable. I wasn't going to make the same mistake by rushing back into work when my mind or body wasn't ready and that's the best decision I've ever made during this terrible time. Whenever I have talked to women who have just been through miscarriage that is the one piece of advice I always try to give them. Give yourself time to heal, work can wait, you come first and you have to look after yourself.

Stay strong Angel Mamas and Papas xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment